Finally Erin is rid of the horrid great lumps that were her tonsils and the nasty adenoids that have kept us all awake since February. Surgery went well and her blood co-agulation tests were normal so it should be a relatively straightforward recovery. We are hoping to get home tomorrow if she continues to eat and drink well so fingers crossed!! The poor lamb is very sore but managed to eat some blueberries and is breathing better already.
I often say to friends that I could write a book on the goings-on we have experienced from our hospital stays but I genuinely doubt anyone would believe it. Today's escapades would definitely add another chapter or 2 and not for great reasons..... The edited highlights being:
- put in a waiting area playroom for 3 hours with a child who had acute tonsillitis, despite the parents informing staff and said child being too poorly to have their op,
- no one letting us know Erin was out and awake so hysterical Erin by the time we got to her,
- being told there was no side room available (I use the term 'room' very loosely as there are no actual walls) so being put on a busy 6 bed ward where each other child had between 2-7 visitors each....then being told we've to keep her in isolation at home for 2 weeks to prevent infection (WTF?!),
- being moved off said ward to a side room that miraculous became free (despite no child leaving) at the convenient time of 11.30pm when it became obvious she was not going to settle on busy ward. I kid you not the nurse said 'we don't normally give tonsil patients side rooms but we'll make an exception if she is going to cry all night' Really???? Nothing to do with her being immune suppressed and just out of surgery then??
Apparently our hospital recently had a very poor inspection where 20 out of 22 departments were deemed to have been unsatisfactory. I find that hard to believe as it suggests 2 departments were of good standard and I'm really shocked at that.
Honestly it would be funny if it wasn't our lives..... I can't wait for us to be out of here again, rest, heal and be able to enjoy the summer.


No comments:
Post a Comment