Our appointment with Dr. McClean went very well, she was suitably impressed with Erin's new found chubbiness! Her blood results came back yesterday and her Tac level was down a little more than we would like to 4.7, they are aiming for between 5-10, but as she has a history of jumping Tac levels we are going to wait until Mondays results before changing any doses. She is still on MMF as well so they aren't too worried about rejection again. We were told that the biopsy results from the acute rejection she had initially post transplant showed very marked rejection, 9 out of 9 on their scale. I don't know exactly what that meant but I'm sure being at the top of the scale was not a good thing. Thankfully those IV steroids did the trick so quickly and she should not have any lasting effects from that episode.
Her Haemoglobin level has been down a little of late which can happen post transplant and can take a while to right itself so they are starting her on some Iron supplements to help. They aren't overly concerned as she is anything but lethargic and as bright as a button. Her weight is up to 7.66kg (16lbs 14oz) so thats a 12oz gain in 7 days!! She is definetely making up for lost time on the eating front, I can hardly keep up with her appetite. Dr. McClean felt Erin's tummy and thinks her spleen has shrunken a lot (a good thing!) and is now around 4 cm long (at its worse it measured 11cm) so the space this has freed up in her abdomen may be making all the difference to her appetite. No wonder she is such a happier bunny these days.
Sometimes I have to pinch myself to believe the transplant is behind us and that everything is going so well. I was on such a high alert for things getting worse, pretty much from September to January, its almost strange to have everything going so well. The team in Yorkhill asked if she has spiked any temperatures since we've been home. I said ''no'', then ''I don't think so'', then ''I've never actually checked!'' Then I felt guilty, like I should have been doing this but I've never had any need or worry to check so I haven't. When she was poorly I would check it four or five times an hour! I'm quite glad that I've not turned into a crazy person obsessing over every temperature change, believe me when I say this experience can bring out your inner OCD! I remember having her home at Christmas and being unable to sleep from the fear that she was spiking a temperature whilst she slept in her cot. But at that point we knew how sick she was and to be honest I don't think she was really well enough to be out of hospital but thats another story. Now I have the confidence that she is doing well and I will know when something is up and deal with it.
When I look at Erin its hard to believe she is the same baby, the same one that was so uncomfortable in her little swollen body, so lifeless and miserable. Now you can't shut her up! Seriously, this girl is going to be such a chatterbox. In the morning she lies all stretched out on the floor watching Waybuloo and shouting for breakfast. She is sleeping a little better but still has a way to go. The first time she didn't stir for 3 hours in a row I was a bit worried so peeked my head into her room to check and accidently woke her up so I'm learning to relax when all is quite but its a hard habit to break.......

Aww I'm so glad to hear things are going well! Good luck, Erin!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you are keeping up with the diary - and delighted that things are going so well for you. Lots of love Lynda
ReplyDelete